6S CubeSat Project
Structural battery and
Solar cell testing
6S is 1U CubeSat that will be the first satellite entirely designed and built by students of Politecnico di Milano.
Our goal is to provide an opportunity to get hands-on experience and apply knowledge about mission and subsystems design in practice. We are also creating network with external parties, as the team meets with interested companies, securing not only components or sponsorships, but also future jobs.
If you are interested in the project, please consider making a donation by clicking the button below… help us reach space!
Testing of perovskite solar cells
Test of postage-cards new generation solar cells.
- High efficiency
- High specific power (i.e. power to weight ratio)
- Excellent radiation resistance
- The mission requires measuring the following quantities:
- Light intensity on the external surface
Technology demonstration of green propellant thruster - SteamJet
It is a prototype of water-based miniaturized electro-thermal thruster.
The system can be stored partially in the tunacan (fitting inside the coil spring of the CubeSat deployer mechanism)
We would like to prove station-keeping and de-orbit maneuvers for a CubeSat
- Volume constraints
- Power draw
- Pointing accuracy
Structural battery testing – VoltaStructural
It is a rigid sandwich panel that acts as a battery and can carry loads at the same time
The battery can be both planar and curved.
- Very low TRL (only demonstrated)
- Careful thermal control
- Outgassing & space debris
December 2020 - March 2021
March 2021 - July 2021 July 2021 - November 2021 November 2021 - June 2022 June 2022 - December 2022 December 2022 - October 2023 End October 2023
Leadership Team Recruitment
Gathering Mission Proposals from companies and Polimi professors
Team Membrs Recruitment (33 people in total)
Basic Definition Review:
- Selection and deep investigation of 5 proposals
- Meetings and revisions with Polimi professors
Mission Design Review, preliminary:
- Mission Environment Analysis
- State of the Art analysis
- Preliminary Mission Objetives
- Mission Phases and Modes
- Launchers Analysis
- Payload Analysis
- Risk Analysis
- Basic Cost Estimation
Preliminary Requirements Review:
- High-level mission objectives
- Mission Environment
- State of the Art
- Payloads review and selection, mission objectives
- Preliminary analysis: Phases & ConOps & -Modes
- Mission Analysis
- Preliminary sizings: AOCS, TMTC, OBDH, EPS, TCS, Structures
- Risk Analysis"
Submission of two abstracts for 4th Symposium on Space Educational Activities
System Requriements Review
Preliminary Design Review
Critical Design Review